Context of 1 Peter:
- What did this mean to the original hearers of this?
- What was their background?
- Who wrote it? When? Why?
Themes of 1 Peter:
- Tough times - persecution and suffering
- Looking back - connects to the history of Israel.
- Look forward - reminding them of the big picture of God certain future
Look through 1 Peter 1:3-9:
- Start (vs 3-5) Look forward to a great inheritance & salvation
- Main point (vs 6) Tough Times are a reality “grief for a little while “
- Ends (vs 7-9) Tough faith = genuine faith refined like gold & ultimate joy
1. We need a bigger story
- Looking forward and looking back at what God has done and will do salvation
2. We need hard times?
- Because everything gets stripped away and it’s just you and God?
- We have to contend for our faith
- He moves us our relationship out of being transactional = one dimensional
3. We need deep resilient tough faith
- Peter “your faith is proven genuine” & “you will receive honor“
What are the top two things in your life that concern you the most?
Reflections to think about: